The Houston Lionel Mess Dynamo narrowly defeated Inter Miami to claim victory in the 2023 U.S. Open Cup. Despite the absence of Argentine icon Lionel Messi, who chose to sit out the major final, Houston celebrated their triumph while Miami endured the disappointment of defeat. Ben Olsen, the Dynamo’s coach, showed indifference to Messi’s absence, stating, “I don’t care.” This win brought immense joy to the Dynamo as they secured the coveted silverware.
In the lead-up to a high-profile match in Florida, a lot of attention was centered around the condition of Lionel Messi, the seven-time Ballon d’Or winner, and whether he would be fit to participate. Ultimately, an injury prevented the Argentine icon from taking the field, and he had to settle for the role of a spectator at DRV PNK Stadium.
Inter Miami faced another setback as they were missing former Barcelona defender Jordi Alba. They were aiming to add another trophy to their historic Leagues Cup triumph in August. Unfortunately, Tata Martino’s side couldn’t achieve their goal with key figures sidelined and watching from the stands.
Head coach Olsen remains unphased by the absence of key players on the opposing side, emphasizing that Houston’s 2-1 victory is well-deserved. Olsen shared his perspective with CBS Sports, emphasizing the importance of seizing opportunities and not underestimating the challenge at hand. He stated, “You can’t always play a full game at a really high level. This team’s tough. If you don’t capitalize when you have a third or fourth chance, you know they’ll keep coming back. There’s too much quality on that field. They were missing a player or two, but I don’t really care. I don’t really care.”
The Dynamo are currently basking in the glory of their first trophy win since 2018, which validates the wisdom of appointing Olsen as head coach in 2022. Meanwhile, Inter Miami is shifting its focus toward securing a spot in the MLS playoffs. They anticipate the return of Messi to full match fitness, which will be a significant boost to their campaign in the near future.
The Dynamo’s victory marked their first trophy win since 2018, confirming the success of Ben Olsen’s appointment as head coach in 2022. Meanwhile, Inter Miami is now focused on securing a spot in the MLS playoffs, with Messi expected to return to full match fitness.
- Who won the 2023 U.S. Open Cup?
- The Houston Dynamo won the 2023 U.S. Open Cup.
- Why didn’t Lionel Messi play in the final?
- Lionel Messi was sidelined due to injury and could only watch the final as a spectator.
- What was the final score of the match?
- The final score was 2-1 in favor of the Houston Dynamo.
- When was the last time the Dynamo won a trophy before this victory?
- The Dynamo’s last trophy win was in 2018.
- Who is the head coach of the Houston Dynamo?
- Ben Olsen is the head coach of the Houston Dynamo, appointed in 2022.
- What are Inter Miami’s future plans?
- Inter Miami’s focus is on reaching the MLS playoffs, and they anticipate Lionel Messi’s return to full match fitness.
READ MORE SPORTS NEWS